Solar, Wind & Geothermal: A MIREC 2012 Technology Briefing
A 1-day business introduction to the technologies available to generate clean power from the sun, wind & earth
This training course is an official part of the
Mexican International Renewable Energy Congress
Mexico's leading renewable energy and climate change event
14 May 2012, Mexico City, Mexico
Whether you are working within one of the "green power" sectors or evaluating investment into it, this comprehensive, time-effective one-day training course ensures you are brought up-to-speed with the key aspects of three key renewable power solutions. Explaining technologies and terminology in a clear and business-focused manner, the course is particularly valuable to those in non-technical positions, such as finance, legal, marketing or other commercial functions.
You will learn how the different technologies convert, generate and store renewable energy and compare and contrast the potential of each to contribute to current large-scale power generation needs.
Level & Delivery
The course explains concepts and terminology in energy, power and technology, but assumes no prior technical knowledge. Indeed it is specifically designed to benefit those who need to understand the technology fundamentals and market development and applications; but not the nuts-and-bolts of engineering or hands-on installation. The course runs in a friendly, informal manner, encouraging discussions and questions to ensure that participants get the most out of their time. Please note that the course language is ENGLISH.
09:00 - 17:00
Includes lunch plus morning and afternoon refreshment breaks
Key concepts in understanding Renewable Energy
- Energy, work and power
- Forms of energy and energy conversion
- Conventional power generation, grid distribution and energy storage
- Comparing direct-to-power and heat-to-power systems
- The physical and practical limits on available natural energy resources
- Understanding the differing characteristics of Solar, Wind & Geothermal power
- How it works and at what efficiency level
- Different types of PV material (Silicon, Thin-film & emerging)
- Balance of System components
- Concentrated Solar Power (CSP) / (High Temperature Solar Thermal):
- Utility-scale solar heat collection and its conversion to power
- Trough, tower, dish, linear Fresnel and hybrid power plant designs
- Pros and cons of CSP versus PV for power generation
- Wind turbine basics and technology evolution
- Power curves and wind resource distributions
- Planning, siting, operation and control issues
- Intermittency and grid supply at large-scales
- The particular challenges of Offshore wind
- The varied nature of Geothermal resources
- Mechanisms for deep geothermal heat extraction and power generation
- The different types of geothermal power plant, including steam, flash and binary
- Enhanced geothermal (EGS) or "Hot Dry Rock" for emerging and non-traditional locations
- Exploration and sustainability challenges for geothermal growth
About your trainer
Dr John Massey is Green Power Academy's founder, Training Director, in-house renewables expert and lead trainer.
Combining a strong academic science background with over fifteen years commercial experience of industry research, analysis and training across a variety of “new technology “ industries (including conventional and renewable energy, telecoms and IT), Dr Massey is expert in demystifying the terminology and workings of new technologies, and presenting their commercial and business context.
He delivers training globally, to senior executives from a range of organisations from project development to finance and has also developed educational material for both live and distance learning courses.
He holds a 1st Class Honours degree in Natural Sciences from the University of Cambridge, a PhD in Earth Sciences and a Diploma in Economics, Innovation and Sustainability.
“Very solid introduction from a very knowledgeable instructor”
“Rich in discussion”
“Good balance between theoretical and interactive”