Renewable Project Planning & Financing
A 2-day comprehensive introduction to preparing, financing and presenting business plans for renewable energy projects
23—24 April 2012, London, United Kingdom
- Understanding the different phases from developing to operating a renewable energy project
- How to create "bankable" projects
- Identifying and selecting appropriate sources of finance
- Writing and presenting a business plan
- Financial modelling of projects: the key parameters and quantifying risk
This unique, 2-day course provides attendees with a thorough grounding in planning and financing renewable energy projects. Presented by an experienced expert in the field, the course will draw on real projects and case studies, and highlight the issues and concerns that are of most importance to those from whom finance is sought.
Although describing and utilising various financial principles, this course assumes no prior expertise in the field and is accessible to business people from various job functions and company types, including:
- Business & Strategy Development, Financial & Investment Planning, Policymaking, Project Planning & Management, Senior Corporate Management (including Legal and Financial)
- Project Developers, Utilities and Power Generating Companies, Governments, Banks and other Investors, Grid Operators, Technology Supplies and Equipment Vendors
All Green Power Academy courses run in an informal and extremely interactive manner, encouraging discussion and questions, to ensure that participants get the most value from the day.
Level & Style
We assume no prior financial expertise for this course, which seeks to provide clarity to what can be a complex and interconnected series of economic influences.
The course runs in a friendly, informal manner, encouraging discussions and questions to ensure that participants get the most out of their time. In order to better understand and illustrate the various topics, some simple calculations and other explanatory exercises may be incorporated.
(include lunch plus morning and afternoon refreshment breaks):
Day 1: 09:00 - 17:00 // Day 2: 09:00 – 16.00
About your trainer
Christian Erich Grütte is Senior Advisor Renewable Energies at Leonardo Venablers and brings over 10 years' experience in the renewable energy sector. He advises corporate and financial investors, project developers and manufacturers on business development and investment strategies internationally, assessing the potential and bankability of renewable energy deals and leading negotiations between stakeholders of the projects.
A small selection of the skills that Christian brings to our students include: the identification of investment drivers & inhibitors; risk assessment of technologies and policies; deal assessment & valuation; negotiations between developers, lenders and EPCs and presentation to investment committees. He holds an MSc in Industrial Engineering and Management from the Technical University of Berlin, where he also served as a Lecturer at the chair of Investment and Financing.
“Very solid introduction from a very knowledgeable instructor”
“Rich in discussion”
“Good balance between theoretical and interactive”
The Big Picture
- Policy & Markets: why they matter so much, and important trends
- Renewable technologies, including their different characteristics from a business planning perspective
Building your Business Case
- You and your assets, strengths and weaknesses
- Your stakeholders and what are they looking for
- Internal and external influences on your business case
- Bankers and Investors criteria: what are they looking for and what do they expect from you?
- Risk factors and mitigation: the importance of quantifying the financial impacts
- Which are the biggest drivers of "bankability"?
- Key phases and timing, from development, through construction to operation
- Key contracts with stakeholders
Sources of Financing
- Banks, Corporate & Private investors, Capital markets
- Understanding where and when different options will be available
- Financing costs and contract requirements
Financial Modelling and Cash Flow Planning
- Technology-specific Income, CAPEX and OPEX variables
- Basic cash-flow planning
- Relating cash flows to key metrics such as LCOE, IRR, NPV
Selling your Business Case
- The key information that others will look for in your business case
- Information memorandum
- Technology specific issues
- Identifying strengths and weaknesses
- Case studies on project development
- What were the key success and failure factors? Could failures have been avoided?
- Likely future trends in renewable project planning and financing